Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Home made granola



Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. To honour my Spanish heritage, I love my sleep and can be a slow starter in the mornings. It isn’t until I have some food in my body that I start to wake up and function half normally.
I also like variety and switch between sweet and savoury. If I remember to do some prep the night before (ie. Put some buckwheat to soak), Deliciously Ella’s Raw Buckwheat Porridge with blueberries tastes a million times better than it sounds. If I’m in a hurry, quite often it’s avocado on toast or granola.


This week I decided to have a go at making my own. Every recipe I saw online had at least 3 ingredients that I didn’t, so I had to improvise a bit. I took a look at my cupboard and used pretty much everything that was there! I had pistachio kernels, almonds and mixed nuts, so in they went. I also added cocoa nibs, which make it more indulgent and are still on the healthy side. I was really pleased with the result and will last me for a good couple of weeks. In fact, I think I may make half this amount next time.
If you fancy having a go, here are all the different elements that make a good granola and some guidance in quantities. This makes a large jar.

Ingredients
200g oats
200g nuts, roughly chopped
A few handfuls of seeds. I used pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds in mine.
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
3 tablespoons of honey
A pinch of coarse or flaked salt
Optional: dried fruit (I like dates and or dried apricots) and cocoa nibs, to taste

Method
Preheat the oven at 150C
In a saucepan, mix the coconut oil, salt and honey and heat gently until the coconut oil has melted
Mix all the dry ingredients (except the dried fruit if you are using it) with the oil and honey and put it in a lined baking tray in the overn for about 20-25 minutes or until it’s gold.
Leave it to cool and mix the dried fruit afterwards.

Store in an airtight container and you have a few delicious breakfasts ready for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Skimlinks Test