Wednesday, 1 April 2015

My first creative block and the all time favourite series



I'm only a mere three months into blogging and already I have experienced a creative block.When I decided to start this project I had absolutely no idea how much time goes into making it happen! Writing is actually the simplest part of it. I have a long list of post ideas and a pretty good schedule, so in theory it should be fairly easy, right? Well, not quite! Sometimes I look at the list and the post I once thought was a great idea now looks a bit dull or shallow. Once I have set on the idea of what I am going to write about, photography is what takes me the longest. I'm beginning to get the hang of it for beauty posts by using whatever patterned surface I find in my home and dragging it by a window to use natural light. That in itself has been quite a challenge during the winter, and I end up doing marathon photo taking sessions at weekends, but now that the clocks have changed I should have plenty more time.
Food posts are actually the ones I find most challenging for different reasons. Firstly, I really don't want to rip anyone off and copy other people's recipes, so it takes a bit of trial and error before I am happy with how a dish turns out, by which time I have probably forgotten the exact ingredients! Also, I do most of my cooking in the evenings, and the light in my kitchen is rubbish, so the photos have been very poor so far.

Something nobody tells you before you start blogging is how addicted to become to Google Analytics and how counterproductive it can be. I remember feeling awful one week because there had been no views for a few days. For the most part, the views are on the low side, but they are pretty consistent, with a big chunk of repeat readers who spend a decent length of time on the blog, so I keep telling myself that this is a matter of quality v quantity and to remember the reason why I started in the first place, which was to find a creative outlet. I read a quote a while ago that said: Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle. That has been another powerful reminder for times when I've felt less motivated or a bit disheartened by the stats.

But then, every crisis often brings something positive, and this came in the shape of an idea for how I approach my thinking and my content. I sat down to write my March favourites and firstly I realised how easily I talk about things I truly like, whether they are a cushion cover, a book or a shade of lipstick. I really enjoy writing favourites posts, and love reading them - it feels as though someone is letting you in some big secret and recommending a product that they truly love. I am sometimes disappointed when the author admits they've only used it for two weeks though, as, after all, I love everything (or at least most things) at first. It's only when I buy again or they stay in my memory after months or years that I consider them favourites. So I thought I would dedicate the whole of April to my all time favourites. I have everything listed and most of the posts written, and it has been a pleasure to do and the best way to combat this silly block.
The first in the series will be my favourite pieces at home and it will go up tomorrow. Afterwards we'll get back into the usual Wednesday & Sunday schedule and I'll talk you through some of the books or films I've enjoyed the most, my childhood comfort food (maybe with an added recipe or two!), and of course, lots of beauty as well.

If it all goes well, I will start thinking about other themes for the future. I have a few ideas in my head, but if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Inma x

Don't forget to leave me a comment below and share on social media.
Here are the other places where you can find me:

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that you set up a 'theme month'. And I hear ya about the stats and everything... That's why I blog as a hobby, just for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, remembering it is for fun is the key! I had a quick peek at your blog and really like it - your make up skills are amazing! :) x

      Delete

 
Skimlinks Test