Sunday, 26 July 2015

Beauty products you don't need


If you are reading this blog, you probably read other beauty blogs and magazines, and like me, you probably get excited when you read reviews of new products or intrigued by this or that new thing that promised to keep you looking glowing and wonderful forever after. As nice as it is to have a drawer or a cupboard full to the brim with gorgeous products, all too often we have way more than we need.

I always advocate for keeping things simple, and this is no exception. Through using beauty products for years, reading and being a skincare and make up buyer for a short stint I've picked up some tips as to what is necessary and what isn't. This is not to say that you shouldn't use these, but if your budget doesn't allow it or if you like to keep things simple, these are the things you can do without.


Night creams
Your skin regenerates itself while you sleep and it gets rid of toxins, and if you want to allow it do its thing, going night cream free is the best thing you can do. If your skin is on the dry side, you can use a serum or, better still, an oil. Rosehip oil is fantastic and Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate is also brilliant for night time.

Scrubs
I'm all for exfoliating, but scrubs are actually not nice at all for your skin, and this is one of the only occasions when you'd hear me say that the natural versions are actually worse. They are so harsh on your skin and they scratch and damage it, so use a chemical exfoliant once a week (Dermalogica and REN do excellent versions) and ditch the scrubs!

Using a primer every day
Unless you have very oily skin, you don't really need a primer every day. Nowadays there are so many types of them: radiance boosting, mattifying, colour correcting.... Sure, they are great for special occasions when you want your make up to stay put, but for every day use, a dusting of powder will keep your foundation in place or a dab of a highlighter will give you the glow you need without having to put another layer onto your skin.

Expensive eye make up removers
The best and most effective eye make up remover I have ever used is coconut oil, and you can get a jar for around £6.50. I use the one by Lucy Bee, which is organic and Fair trade.

Toner
I have asked myself for years if toners do anything and have finally reached the conclusion that they are a pretty pointless step in your skincare routine. They may feel refreshing but they actually don't add anything beneficial. In fact, many toners have alcohol (I'm looking at you, Caudalie's Beauty Elixir), which will dry your skin out. If you still like to spritz your face when it's hot, rosewater or a can of thermal water (Avene, Vichy, La Roche Posay and Evian all do similar products) is more than enough.

A drawer full of foundations
Gone are the days when you had one foundation. Now we all seem to have at least 5 different ones. The truth is you only "need" one which is medium coverage and a tinted moisturiser and that should see you through the year.

Moisturiser in the summer
Choose a good SPF to use over an oil or serum and you are good to go. I like La Roche Posay's best but Murad, Eucerin and Neutrogena do great options too. Check out my post about sunscreens for more information and product recommendations.

I'd love to hear what products you could easily live without.

Inma x

Don't forget to leave me a comment below and share on social media.
Here are the other places where you can find me:

19 comments:

  1. Great tips, thanks for sharing :D! I had no idea about not using a night cream to let your skin re-generate properly. I use to think toners were a waste of money too until I got the Clarins one but it has exfoliating properties so it actually does something x

    Beauty with charm | Zoeva Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, toners are a bit meh. Unless you use one that does something else like exfoliating but I'm always too lazy to add one more step, ha ha x

      Delete
  2. I must admit I'm using night creams less and less, my skin seems to respond much better to Kiehl's Midnight Recovery, though I'm never sure if it's too heavy for everyday. I definitely agree on face scrubs! I just use an acid toner, which eliminates the traditional toner step from my routine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery is LOVELY and I think perfectly fine to use everyday. I'm using Trilogy's Rosehip oil at the moment but used to use that every day and my skin loved it as well x

      Delete
  3. I agree with all of these, all so true. I'm so glad that I ditched toner a couple of years ago, it was such a pointless beauty product for me!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mostly agree with you - for my dry skin I can't go without cream ever, and I do love toners (without alcohol!!) to add layer of moisture. So good you've worked this out though for your skin type and routine!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is so different and I know I'm always on the minimalistic side, ha ha! I actually felt a bit nervous posting this because sometimes beauty routines are rituals and if you LOVE the smell of a toner, then why would you stop using it? x

      Delete
  5. This is such a refreshing post! There are so many posts and articles out there about new products that promise all sorts of miracles that it's so easy to forget that, as with many things in life, simplicity is key! Great idea to write a post from such a different angle! I'm also a Trilogy fan. Another really good product is Weleda's Skin Food.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me so happy to see your comment, Jo! And I had a quick look at your blog and it's beautiful and authentic! Can't wait to see more x

      Delete
    2. Thanks Inma! That means a lot! x

      Delete
  6. lovely post!
    check out my blog + follow back?

    xo,
    Jess | wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree to the scrubs! They're not good for our skin (:
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are even if lots of people love them x

      Delete
  8. same with the night creams! Totally dont get the point! :)

    http://marynmakeup.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a fan of night creams because I had oilier skin but a serum is so much nicer x

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely post, specially after seeing all the rave reviews its good to know what is not worth indulging.

    Sam || Grow Your Blog Audience With These 3 SEO Tips

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally with you on the night cream and toner! Since I have reduced my skincare to the bare essentials, my skin is the best it has ever been! :) x

    Brenda BusyBee | Win a Travalo Perfume Atomiser

    ReplyDelete
  11. I purchased Dr. batra products online from Awesome bazar. Awesome Bazar provides best competitive prices product and fast delivery process . Really very nice service of awesome bazar, Awesome bazaar best Shopping destination. Find At https://awesomebazar.com/brands/dr-batra/

    ReplyDelete

 
Skimlinks Test