Sunday, 12 July 2015

Recipe for the authentic Valencian paella



Yesterday I was in a bit of a panic because I had nothing written or photographed for today. It's been a full on week at work and whenever I wasn't worrying about work I was trying to evade myself and staying as far away from a computer screen as you could find me. And in evasion I found this week's post! One of my oldest friends is staying with me for a few weeks this summer. Our dads were best friends and we grew up together near Valencia. Yesterday we went to visit one of his friends who lives in Leicester and who cooked a paella for a few of us. For me, the food from where I come from has the ability to send me on a trip down memory lane in seconds, and I can talk for hours about all the stories associated with eating that food, which in the case of paella involves family celebrations and helping my father cook it from a very early age. He made the best paella I have ever had but it was quite a process! It involved the rest of us chopping vegetables, tasting the broth for seasoning and just watching because it was important that we learnt.


When I moved to England he bought me a traditional enamel paella pan, a few years later he bought me a notebook where he wrote a few traditional Valencian recipes and one day he made me take photos of all the steps so I never forgot how to cook it. This is important stuff! When I was scratching my head last night wondering what to write about I remembered those pics and thought I would share with you this recipe, but before I get into it, here are a few interesting facts about the origins of what is probably Spain's most famous dish.


Paella is actually not a national dish. It originates from the Albufera region in Valencia. The Albufera is a freshwater lagoon right next to the sea, with a surface of over 52,000 acres and surrounded by rice fields. Because of the high rice production in the area, you will find hundreds of rice dishes in the region, although paella is probably the best known of all. Contrary to public belief, the original one does not contain seafood, chorizo or peas. Of course there are lots of different variations, one of which is with seafood, but if you want to have the true, genuine, one and only Valencian paella, this is what you will need (I have tried to stay true to the recipe, but for ingredients that are harder to find I have included some alternatives).

(Serves 4)
Ingredients
Half a chicken, chopped in smaller pieces. I usually get thighs, wings and legs, as the bones will always give it more flavour.
250g of rabbit meat. This is a bit of a sensitive one in the UK and to be honest, wild rabbit can be a bit tough, so you can replace with pork ribs.
100g of runner beans, chopped
Half a cup of "garrofo". If you can find this Spanish flat dry beans in a deli, I would recommend it, but you can replace with butter beans for a similar taste. If you use either of them dry, soak them overnight.
1 ripe large tomato, grated
1 green pepper (or red, if you don't have green at hand. It doesn't matter too much)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tsp of pimenton dulce (or paprika)
400g paella rice (or 500g if the people you are cooking for have a big appetite)
A pinch of saffron
A few springs of fresh rosemary

Method
1. Heat 4-5 tbsp of olive oil in the paella pan
2. Brown the meat for a few minutes, cooking it in the centre of the pan
3. Push the meat to the edges of the pan and cook the tomato, pepper and garlic for 5 minutes with the paprika. Keep stirring.
4. Add water (preferably hot) up to the edge of the pan.
5. Add the runner beans and garrofo (or butter beans)
6. When the water starts to boil, add a pinch of saffron and leave it simmering until the broth halves (approximately 20 minutes)
7. Add the rice. This is the crucial point and one where there is little instruction I can give you other than keep checking. If the water is evaporating too quickly, lower the heat, or if the rice is cooking fast, turn it up a notch. It will normally take 10-15 minutes to cook.
8. Finally, add a few sprigs of rosemary to infuse it with flavour for the last 5 minutes. When you take it off the heat, we normally cover it in foil for a further 5 minutes to allow it to rest.

(The following photos were only snaps that we took years ago and the quality isn't great, but hopefully they will help you see it all step by step)







Paella is quite an involved dish, but that is partly the beauty of it. You have to keep tasting the broth to see if it has enough salt, too much, check how fast the rice is cooking... This is why my dad used to have us all at hand helping.

If you make it, I'd love to see the photos! Either tag me on Instagram (inma.andres) or on Twitter (@sunshineandglow).

Have a great Sunday!

Inma x

Don't forget to leave me a comment below and share on social media.
Here are the other places where you can find me:

13 comments:

  1. Inma!!!
    Thanks for share with the world the authentic recipe of paella like it was prepared for the best person and cook: La Cortesana!
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so good :o WOW! amazing post I love your blog :)
    I have shared :)



    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Paella, so this looks so delicious but I'm not sure I would have the patience to cook a meal like this, plus my partner is a fussy eater so this would be too much of a meal to cook at once haha x

    Beauty with charm | Zoeva Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it does take some effort but like with everything you've grown up with, you can kind of cook it by eye in the end. x

      Delete
  4. omg! A proper made paella is the best kind. It remind me when I was a kid and some Spanish friends I used to have (which were leaving in France) were often inviting me and my family to their place to have paella they used to make it directly on a fire place in their garden (during summer) and it was honestly the best paella I ever had!!! but yours look damn good too.

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I love it when food takes you back down memory lane and reminds you of experiences as a child. If you can cook it on a fireplace it is AMAZING! x

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love paella!! So, thank you for sharing this authentic recipe - I will be sure to give it a go..makes me feel so hungry now! :) x

    Brenda BusyBee | One Year Blogiversary Giveaway! Win an Urban Decay Naked Palette & MAC Lipstick of Your Choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I see the pic it makes me hungry as well, ha ha! x

      Delete
  6. Great post, dear! Love it.
    Check my new post - http://starlingdays.blogspot.com/2015/07/blog-post_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imma your Paella looks amazing I´m so excited to try your recipe out!

    https://mythoughtsthroughthelens.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Tweet me a pic if you do! x

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy making paella, it's one of my favourtie dishes! I usually cook it with chorizo or a seafood mix, I think i need to add saffron though as that tends to really bring out the flavours :)

    Hanh x | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete

 
Skimlinks Test