Sunday, 2 August 2015

July favourites

Hello August! It is with a mixture of excitement and sadness that I say that. Excitement, because I can't wait to go on holiday later this month, but sadness because we are entering the last month of summer, which is by far my favourite season. But let's focus on July, which is what this week's post is all about!



Beauty
For the first time in a few months I have more than a couple beauty favourites. This year I have found some amazing products that work wonders and I've not changed what I use that much and my make up has been minimal since spring, but I can feel I am arriving at that point in the cycle when I'm craving some new things in my stash, so expect a few new appearances soon.

Coconut oil, by Lucy Bee
Up to last month I'd used coconut oil for baking and as a hair mask, but had never on my face. Towards the end of June I moved the jar from my kitchen cupboard to the drawers in my bathroom and have used it as an eye make up remover every single night and it is, hand on heart, the best I have ever tried. As I said in my earlier post, you really don't need to splash out on fancy eye make up removers. I focus on the eye area by gently rubbing it on y eyelashes but also use it on the rest of my face as a cleanser and remove it with a hot flannel or muslin cloth.

Le Petit Marsellais Body Wash in Orange Blossom
I bought this at the supermarket in Duras, France, when I was there last June on a yoga retreat. I've never come across this brand in the UK, but I have used their products often when back at home in Spain, where you can find it at Carrefour. What attracts me the most about Le Petit Marsellais body and hair care range is the wide variety of scents, which includes lavender honey, shea butter, almond milk, grapefruit, and a very long etcetera. Orange blossom is my mum's favourite flower and a scent that reminds me of Valencia, so whenever I come across anything with that fragrance I have to buy it, and this was no exception.

There is a website called frenchclick.co.uk where this range is available. I can also highly recommend their hair range, especially the conditioner with shea butter and honey (lait de karite et miel).

Dermablend Corrective Stick (45 Gold)
I've not been wearing foundation since the spring, but my skin is far from perfect, so I have been relying in this super concealer to cover all my skin's imperfections for a few months now. Dermablend is part of the Vichy brand and their foundations and concealers are so pigmented that are often used to cover scarring and tattoos. The colour range of the sticks isn't amazing, but they do cover an awful lot of sins and if you set them with a light dusting of translucent powder their staying power is great. The colour is very concentrated though so be spare and blend blend blend!

Real Techniques Small Detail Brush
I got this brush a couple of years ago when I bought the Core Collection set by Real Techniques. At the time what I was really after was the buffing brush, which I still use and love, but this little gem has become a staple in the past couple of months. In my May favourites I talked about how much I loved Topshop's glow pot and used it in the inner corners of my eyes daily. Well, this brush is what I apply it with. It is small and soft and would also be great for concealing little blemishes.

Lifestyle
Fightmaster Yoga
Since I came back feeling great after a yoga retreat in France I really wanted to keep it up and incorporate a bit more yoga into my every day life, and a very easy way to do that is at home. I saw this Youtube channel recommended by Anna from Vivianna does Make Up and decided to try their videos. I. LOVE. IT. It is fairly challenging and I still find myself skipping a few chaturangas to catch my breath but it's so invigorating and makes you feel amazing. Not to mention Lesley Fightmaster's voice, which I could listen to all day. She's got that great balance of encouraging you to try challenging things whilst making you feel at ease if you can't do it that day. I love it when she admits what took her a long time to achieve - makes it so much easier to relate to when you're having a day when your body just won't go there.

Similar to the famous 30 Days of Yoga from Yoga with Adriene, there is a Yoga Fix 90, although I've been choosing different videos depending on what I feel like on the day.

Music / books / tv / films
Kindle
Who would've told me, that going away to the middle of the French countryside on a retreat was going to end up in me buying a Kindle, another piece of technology! I had been resisting it for a long time, telling myself that I preferred having paperback books to keep them and put them on my book shelves. However, life is changing and so must I. After talking to others on the trip who had them, I realised that having a light device I could take everywhere would encourage me to read more, so on my last night, just before going outside to gaze at the stars, three of us made an impulsive purchase and simultaneously bought Kindles. I got the most basic version, which has been more than enough.

Since then I have swapped my usual Youtube watching binge for reading before going to sleep, and have seen so many benefits! I sleep better, wake up more rested and I've really been enjoying reading on a daily basis instead of just during holidays.

Wild: A Journey from Lost to Found, by Cheryl Strayed
This book is making it into this month's favourites but I know that it is much more than a monthly favourite. It is a book I will never forget about. Cheryl Strayed tells her experience of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in 1995, a few years after her mother passed away from lung cancer. She says she went on the trail to become the woman her mother had raised her to be. Cheryl walked 1,100 miles on her own, encountering people and other creatures in the wilderness, going through experiences in her life in her mind, one of the most important being losing her mother and how it affected her family. It is a book about grief and about how she found healing in the wilderness of the PCT. The book was later adapted into a film starring Reese Witherspoon last December. I am amazed I hadn't watched it or read it before, but sometimes books and films find you when you are ready for them.

Don't forget to leave me a comment below and share the post with your friends if you liked it.
Here are the other places where you can find me:
Inma x

19 comments:

  1. Great post! How does the coconut oil do with removing mascara? I've been wanting to try it for my hair etc for a while, but I didn't realise it could double up as a make-up remover too!



    Elizabeth Farrant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Elizabeth, It works really well! I take a little bit and rub it between my fingers for a few seconds, which makes it melt, then gently rub my eyelashes. It's like a one ingredient cleansing oil. x

      Delete
  2. I love coconut oil as well and keep a jar in my bathroom! Great post, I loved seeing your faves of July!

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perla! Glad you enjoyed it x

      Delete
  3. I want to get a Kindle but at the same time, I love normal books! Seriously, maybe I should get a Kindle! Looks freaking fantastic!

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was exactly the same. I had been resisting it for so long, but thought there are so many paperbacks I read and will never read again, so keeping them is a bit pointless. However, there are other books, especially photography or cooking books that I love to have and flick through, so I plan to still buy those in their more material form. Not sure if that helps you make a decision.... x

      Delete
  4. hey there!! I have been following your blog for a while now and I am really enjoyed it :D I have shared this post !! :D keep up the great would

    come say hi
    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in trying Dermablend! Great favourites :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Dermablend is great. I think the most comparable product would be a Bobbi Brown foundation stick x

      Delete
  6. I know I can't believe it's August already, like that's just crazy! I love Coconut oil, it's honestly just a fantastic multi use product & I mostly love using it for my hair as an overnight mask, as it really keeps it so soft! I've been meaning to read & watch Wild, it's good to hear it's such a good book x

    Beauty with charm | Zoeva Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut oil is amazing and I don't feel like I have even scratched the surface with it. I know friends who use it as a body moisturiser too and I am sure there is a home made scrub to be made there.... Might have to get creative in the coming months! I can't recommend Wild enough. If you don't mind watching a film before reading the book, that might be a quicker introduction to her story to see if you like it! x

      Delete
  7. I love my kindle and have recently dusted it off, finished some books and added new ones.

    Angie x | Chocolate & Lipstick || UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had bought mine ages ago, actually! :) x

      Delete
  8. great picks! im also feeling meh that its august! xo

    illustratedwardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a pot of Coconut Oil sitting in my drawers (I didn't like it as a hair mask) so am going to move it to the bathroom and see how I get on with it as a makeup remover - thanks for the sharing :) x

    Brenda BusyBee | Win a Travalo Perfume Atomiser

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely post ! My friend read Wild and she loved it too ! I may give it a go soon :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

 
Skimlinks Test