Sunday, 8 November 2015

Beauty rituals

Months ago I wrote a post about how positive having a good routine is. At the time I was caught up in embracing spontaneity a tad too much. I still like to be spontaneous, but I think giving some structure to small parts of your day can be very enjoyable. A huge part of the pleasure we get out of make up and skincare is the ritual of putting it on, of using that cream.

So... Fast forward 8 months and when I look at my mornings now they look so different! I like my mornings to have a slow start, even during the week, so I get up a bit earlier so that I can sit down for breakfast and have time to have a browse on Bloglovin', read a few posts, reply to comments, etc. But let's rewind a little bit and let me share my beauty rituals.



TIME TO WAKE UP!

My shower is Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Half of the products are very budget friendly and they are what I use daily, and the other half are a little bit more special. All my life I have used Sanex shower gel and I don' think it will change any time soon. I always like to have something fancier for weekends or days when I fancy a change. At the moment I have one of my favourites, Korres Fig shower gel. Others that I love are the range by Faith in Nature (especially Lavender & Geranium and Aloe Vera & Ylang Ylang). As far as hair goes, it has taken me ages to find a budget shampoo that I like. I find that very natural shampoos really leave my hair and scalp feeling so dry (I guess due to lack of silicone) and ultimately I end up with dandruff. This shampoo by Garnier Ultimate Blends leaves my hair feeling so soft and smelling of honey, which is not a bad thing!

Despite having fairly dry skin, I never moisturised regularly, but it's something I've been doing since the end of the summer on a daily basis and am going through body butters and lotions like nobody's business. One of my favourites is Weleda's Wild Rose Body Oil. At the moment I am also using Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil with rosehip for my scar. It is very similar to Bio Oil and it is working wonders at fading it.


I'm going to tell you a secret. Most days I don't cleanse in the morning. Lo Bosworth interviewed a skincare expert a few months ago and she said if you cleanse thoroughly at night, a splash of water should be enough, and after months and months of doing this I've not noticed any breakouts, blocked pores or anything bad. If anything, my skin feels more comfortable.

So, after skipping my morning cleanse, what I do is treat, hydrate and protect. Quite often this will be achieved only with two products. Trilogy's Rosehip oil is a must. It helps even out the skin and gives some much hydration to your skin. I've raved about it enough already but it really is amazing. Afterwards I alternate between these three products:
- Weleda Iris Cream (smells AMAZING), if I am wearing a foundation with SPF and it's not too sunny.
- Vichy Sun SPF30, for days when my skin isn't too dry and the sun is shining
- Origins Vitazing, if I am not going to use foundation, on its own in the winter and with a layer of SPF underneath in the summer.

After that I dry my hair quickly, put on a little bit of make up and off to work I go!

UNWINDING AT THE END OF THE DAY

I usually start getting ready for bed between 30 and 45 minutes before I want to go to sleep. This helps my brain slow down and fall asleep more easily, and actually resting. If I have too much on my mind I tend to have the weirdest dreams!


To take my make up off, I first use some plain old coconut oil. I have read on should be careful with it because it can block your pores, but I always take it off using a hot flannel and have never had any problems. I love it because it is cheap, it is easy to use and smells amazing! And it takes off waterproof mascara like there's no tomorrow. After that I massage Dr Hauschka's Cleansing Milk into my face and again use a hot flannel to remove it. I always follow with an oil, which 9 times out of 10 is Trilogy's Rosehip Oil (told you I love it!) or Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate.

At the moment I am also using Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil in the evening before going into bed, but I don't tend to use a body moisturiser at night.

Then I get into bed, spritz my pillow with This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray, pop a bit of lip balm and get my Kindle out and after about 10 pages I am gone!

Hope you enjoyed this. I would love to hear what your morning and night rituals are!

Inma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Skimlinks Test