Sunday, 17 April 2016

Yoga videos to do at home


If you have been reading for a while you may know that I love yoga. Last year I wrote a post about all the reasons why I love it so much that you can check out if you didn’t read it at the time. If I had to say in a few words what it has done for me, I would say it has made me more curious and less fearful of outcomes.

If I could afford it, I would go to a yoga class every day of the week. For me the experience is very different to practicing at home. I had a few hits and misses but I have found two teachers who I really love and who I find very inspiring, and I really don’t think you can beat that human connection.

However, I can’t go to class every day, and have also found two yoga teachers online who are very different but who have helped me to develop a home practice over the past 6 months.



If you are slightly interested in yoga you will have probably heard of Adriene Mischler, a really funny yoga teacher from Austin, Texas. Her motto is “Find what feels good”, and she has a very relaxed approach that allows you to experiment a little bit and find what works for you. If you are new to yoga, would like to give it a go but you are worried it is all too spiritual and serious I would recommend you give it a go with Adriene’s videos - yoga is what you make of it, and if you want it to be light and fun, it can definitely be light and fun.

Once a year she does a 30 day stint in January with a daily video that will take between 20 and 45 minutes of your day and that will make you feel fitter, both physically and mentally.

My favourite videos from Yoga with Adriene are:

Happy Birthday Yoga. I did this on my birthday morning and it was BRILLIANT! It was like giving myself the best birthday present. Of course you can do it any day you like!

Yoga for hangovers. Feeling sorry for yourself after a late night? You may want to hide under your duvet all day and stuff your face with chocolate, but if you roll out your matt for xxx minutes I promise you will feel so much better afterwards!

Yoga for cramps and PMS. Another life saver. There is a time each month when we feel a bit under the weather. If you suffer from cramps, this is a great video.


I heard about Lesley Fightmaster in a post by Viviana Does Make Up last summer. I cliked on one of her videos after reading that blog post and I was completely mesmerised by lesley’s voice. It relaxed me straight away, but don’t be fooled, as the videos are a bit more challenging than Yoga with Adriene’s.

There are several different series, like a 90 day challenge or a 30 day challenge for beginners, which is a great place to start depending on how much you have practiced before. I love her videos because they push me a little bit further and I often try poses that I may have not been able to hold in the past. Sometimes I get there, sometimes I don’t, and that is ok, but I like that it gets me to experiment a bit more.

My favourite video though is a super relaxing one, and it is her Yoga Nidra, one of the most relaxing things you can do for yourself. You will lie on the floor, start with a breathing exercise and then get into an extremely relaxed state. I do this every couple of weeks, usually during the afternoon at the weekend, or if something is particularly worrying me, and I always always feel a million times better after.

If you practice yoga at home, do you have any good recommendations of online videos? Do you prefer going to class?

Inma x


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Skimlinks Test