Monday, 2 May 2016

Best of April



I often start these sort of posts by saying what a great month it has been, but April has been rubbish. It has been stressful and sad and whenever I get stressed I stop doing all the things that make me feel good. Thankfully I realise I am doing that at some point and have started trying to get back to a better place, so next month you can expect lots of yoga, inspiring podcast episodes and sunny trips with friends. With that said, there have still been pockets of goodness in April, so let's get into it!

Source: nishaantishu.com
Part of the reason why I have been in a bit of a funk this month has been all the change that is going on in my life. It's mostly really exciting and positive changes that I am instigating, but change can be a funny old process, and this blog post describes it in a way that really resonated with me at this moment. I also liked learning about spring tiredness being a thing that is not just in my head, because I have experienced it all my life. Whenever spring comes my body really struggles with the change in season and I spend a good month sleeping badly, feeling exhausted most of the time until my body adjusts.



This has been my latest obsession and I have been talking about it with everyone who will listen (and sometimes even if they don't want to listen). In case you haven't heard about it, it is a 10 part drama going through what happened in the mid nineties when OJ Simpson was accused of murdering his ex-wife. I was in my teens when it all happened and I vaguely remember seeing the images of the trial on tv, but even though I knew what happened in the end it was still completely enthralling to go behind the scenes and understand how it all happened.

For me Marcia Clark is the star of the show. She was the prosecutor in the case that has been played brilliantly by Sarah Paulson. The media attention on this case was such that her private life and even her hairstyle became points of discussion both in the court room and in the tabloids and news. She was an incredibly strong woman who was going through an really tough time in her personal life while she got one of the highest profile cases in American history. The show raises issues like race and sexism in the workplace and goes beyond what happened between OJ Simpson and Nicole Brown.

If you like thrillers, courtroom dramas, documentaries or drama based on real events, you have to watch this!


MY NEW KITCHEN

Since I moved into this house two years ago I have hated my kitchen with a passion. It was not old and to the naked eye it was probably ok, but it felt dark and the cooker was so bad! I love to cook and I did not enjoy cooking in this kitchen at all. After spending over a year seriously looking into it I made this one of my new year goals. I would get on with it and get my new kitchen, and I did it and couldn't be more pleased. After a lot of research I chose Ikea's Voxtorp kitchen, which is mat white and handle-less, with an oak worktop that I am learning to look after!

After a week of upheaval and a diet based on pizza and take away food I have got a space that I really love and where I can cook comfortably and efficiently. Gone are the days of waiting 20 minutes for the hob to get hot! I opened up the space by moving my fridge to a little alcove behind the door and the whole space looks so much bigger now! I still have to re-touch the paint but I will post pics once I have done it.


In March I wrote a blog post about Womancode, a book that has taught me a lot about women's health and how to look after my body after undergoing surgery to remove some fibroids last September. Please go and read the post and buy the book - it has been life changing for me.

I got in touch with Alisa, and after a couple of messages on Twitter and emails back and forth with her assistant we recorded a video testimonial with my experience that will go up on her website soon. I am so passionate about this subject and I think so highly of Alisa's work and her approach to look after ourselves that I was over the moon to be able to talk to her directly. I was a little bit daunted by the whole video thing but we need to spread the message to look after ourselves and talk about women's health, as there are so many women out there suffering in silence with conditions such as fibroids, endometriosis, etc. The great news is that there is a way to look after your health through food and lifestyle that will help avoid major procedures like what I had to go through. Alisa and her assistant Katie have been amazing and I have felt so safe talking both publicly and privately with her about my health. It was definitely a highlight this month and when I have the link to the video I will share it here.

BEAUTY

I had to think really hard about this section of the post, as I couldn't think about what I had been doing differently. My beauty routine is so minimal now that sometimes I feel like a fraud talking about beauty products here! There were still 3 things that I've used a lot:

L'Oreal nail polish in Coral Trianon
I've been looking for a coral nail polish for a few summers and I finally found one that I really love and that makes me feel all springy even if I have to wear a coat and a scarf!

Antipodes Aura mask
I'd heard about Antipodes for years but had not tried any of their products. I love this mask because it is cleansing and has antibacterial properties but it is very hydrating, so it is a bit like two masks in one, and we all know how I like multi-purpose products when it comes to beauty!

Byredo Gypsy Water
This was a Christmas present from my brother, the perfume snob. I've been wearing it all winter and it is slowly replacing Stella EDP as my favourite scent. It is light but has a hint of sandalwood, which I always like in perfumes.

I'm really looking forward to May and I have a good feeling about it. Sure, unexpected things may happen, but I'm going to do everything I can to make it a better one than April.

I'd love to hear what you've been enjoying to add more things to my wish list!

Inma x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Skimlinks Test